How do I get a continuance of my court hearing?

If you have an attorney, your attorney must file the request to continue your hearing.  If you are not represented by an attorney, you should first contact the other party in your case and see if they are in agreement with your request to continue the hearing.  Put your request in writing and file it with court administration and the opposing party as soon as possible before the hearing and indicate in your request if the opposing party is in agreement with this continuance.  Include your contact information so you can be notified of the judge’s decision on your continuance request.  You also need to send a copy of your continuance request to the other party and complete an affidavit of service (found in the forms link at and file
it with your continuance request.

Show All Answers

1. What Division Do I Need?
2. What is a civil case?
3. What is a family case?
4. What is a probate case?
5. What is a juvenile or child protection case?
6. What is a criminal/traffic case?
7. How do I request to postpone my jury service?
8. Where do I go for court?
9. How do I get a continuance of my court hearing?
10. Where do I find the application for a Public Defender or Court Appointed Attorney?
11. How to pay a traffic ticket/citation in MN?
12. Are there rules for jurors?
13. What is the court security checkpoint?
14. How do I find my courtroom?
15. What is the Law Library and Self-Help Center?