Marriage Officiant & Credentials of License or Ordination Filing

This service will continue to be provided by appointment:

Certificate of Filing form is available for download on our website. Apply by mail or fax your request to our fax: 763.684.4558. The form will need to be signed and NOTARIZED. Mail check or pay on our website with credit card referencing ordained person.

Phone:  763.682.7357 (press 3 for appointment) 
Phone: 763.682.7357 (press 4 for questions)

Marriage Officiant

To perform a marriage ceremony in Minnesota, you must register with a county in Minnesota before performing a marriage ceremony. No credentials are required to register with the county. (M.S.517.04)

For an ordained person (both Minnesota residents and non-residents) to be authorized to perform marriage ceremonies in Minnesota, the person must be at least 21 years old and must file their "credentials of license or ordination" with a Minnesota county (MN Statute 517.05).   Once this is done marriages may be performed anywhere in the State of Minnesota.  

Filing requirements

Schedule an appointment and bring the following:

  • Provide a copy of your credential of license or ordination, if applicable
  • Officiant must be 21 years of age or older (provide identification)
  • Pay the $30.00 filing fee  

By Mail

  • Submit a completed and notarized Certificate of Filing form
  • A copy of your credential license or ordination, if applicable.  If your credential has information on both sides, such as a wallet card, please provide a copy of each side.
  • Filing Fee $30.00 (check or pay online) 
  • Include Postage/Handling Charge:  $5.00 OR Priority Mail $8.05
  • Priority Processing:  $20.00 (optional)  
  • Mail to:  Wright County Recorder
                   Attn:  Credentials
                   3650 Braddock Avenue NE, Suite 1500V
                   Buffalo, MN  55313

Information for Marriage Officiant

A marriage license that was issued by Wright County is given to the applicants at the time they complete the application process.  They will receive two pieces of paper that include the marriage license and the marriage certificate.  They will also receive and envelope that can be used to send the completed certificate back to our office.  The marriage license shall be kept by the officiant as proof of your authority to solemnize the marriage.  The marriage certificate needs to be completed by the officiant.  Failure to complete the marriage certificate properly will result in a delay of the issuance of the certified marriage.  
If you have any questions about performing a marriage within the borders of Minnesota please contact our office at Phone: 763.682.7357 (press 4)     

Statutes for Officiants

MN Statute 517.06:  The couple and witnesses must be present at the ceremony, and you must view ID of all four people.

MN Statute 517.05:  You must fill in the county in MN where your credentials are filed authorizing you to perform marriages in MN on the marriage certificate.

MN Statute 517.10:  The officiant and witnesses print and sign their names on the certificate.

MN Statute 517.13:  Complete and return the original certificate to the local records office within 5 days after the ceremony to avoid penalty.

Tips for Completing the Marriage Certificate

Print legibly. This is a legal document that will remain on record forever.

Enter your title such as pastor, wedding officiant, ordained minister, etc. on the certificate – Do not use your name as your title.

Have both witnesses sign and print their name below.

Fill out each line on the certificate. Missing information may delay issuance of the certified copy.

If questions, call the County listed on the Marriage License before sending in the marriage certificate.

Additional Marriage Officiant Information

A MN Marriage License must be used in the borders of the state of Minnesota. 

A license is good for six months. The marriage license will state the date range that it is valid for.

The Marriage License is to be kept by the officiant and the Marriage Certificate is to be returned to the county office where the applicants applied.

Witnesses must be 16 years of age or older.