Conciliation Court

Conciliation Court, also known as "Small Claims Court", was created to allow citizens to bring legal claims to the court without expensive costs or complicated legal procedures. Conciliation Court can accept claims for filing that are at, or below, the limit set by law. Currently the limit is $15,000.  The limit is $4,000 if the claim involves consumer credit transaction.

You cannot file a claim in Conciliation Court involving the title to real estate.

You may represent yourself in Conciliation Court.  Representation by an attorney requires pre-approval from the Court.

You must file your claim in the county where the defendant resides.

You may seek recovery for a dishonored check in the county where the check was issued.

You may make a claim for unpaid rent or return of a security deposit in the county where the rental property is located.

Forms to file in Conciliation Court are available at the Court Administrator’s Office or online at