Motor Vehicle


NEW LAW CHANGE  (MS 169.798, subd4)

A new state requirement went into effect January 1, 2016. Proof of insurance will be required on registration renewals, title transfer, or application for new title/registration. Proof of insurance must include insurance company's name, policy number and the policy expiration date for the motor vehicle or motorcycle.

The Wright County License Center processes titles, transfers and registration of all motor vehicles, including motorcycles, mopeds, trailers and mobile homes.  We only accept cash or check.  Credit / debit will not be accepted.

Title Transfer & Duplicates

The Wright County License Center is available to assist you with title transfers and duplicates.  We always suggest that buyers and sellers come into the office together.  This will ensure a smooth title transfer. 

There are many variables to transferring a title.  These variables determine what the fees for the transaction will be.

One important item to have is a 'lien release'.  If there is a secured party listed on the title, you must have an original lien release.  Banks do not notify the state when a loan is paid off.

Please remember that you are required to present us with auto insurance covering the vehicle.  We will need the company name, policy number and expiration date.

If you have a special transfer situation, please call our office.  The information we provide may save you an extra trip.

You must be the registered owner of the vehicle to request duplicate plate, registration, or titles.

There is a small fee for duplicates.  The Wright County License Center has a full inventory of plates and stickers and can replace them immediately.  If your plate is a "special" plate, we will give you a permit to drive on while the state is processing your duplicate plate application.

New Vehicles  
The Wright County License Center is here to help citizens transfer vehicles they have purchased or built.  

Give us a call before you come in to find out exactly what you'll need, and we will walk you through the process step by step. 

The documents you may need: 
  • Purchase Agreement
  • Out-of-State Vehicle Title
  • Manufacturer Certificate of Origin
  • Photos
Vehicles Plates & Registration 

The Wright County License cnter registers vehicles in its office.  This includes automobiles, trailers, motorcycles, mopeds, and all DNR vehicles. 

If you are the registered owner and cannot find or did not receive a notice, we can renew your registration with your plate number and driver's license.

If you are not the registered owner and want to renew a vehicle's registration, you will either need the renewal notice or a written permission note due to data privacy laws.  The note must indicate the year, make, plate & insurance information.  The note must be signed by the owner.  If more than one owner, only one signature is required.  The owner must indicate who they are giving permission to, their driver's license number and telephone number.  If you are a spouse not on the title without the renewal form, you must have the same address. 

Effective January 1, 2016
When applying for a motor vehicle or motorcycle registration, re-registration or transfer of ownership you must provide proof of insurance.  Required information includes the insurance company name, the policy number, and the policy expiration date.

Trailers - Recreational & Utility

The Wright County License Center registers campers, motor homes and utility trailers.  All of these vehicles are due the end of February.

Utility/boat, ATV and snowmobile trailers with a gross weight under 3,000 lbs. will receive a 'lifetime' registration.  These trailers are generally not titled.  All other trailers' registration fees are based on their weight.

There is a 3 year trailer renewal available for qualifying trailers.  Please see us for information.

If you have any other questions please visit the Department of Public Safety website or call 763-682-7597 or 763-684-4541.
                    *********WE ACCEPT CASH, CHECK & CREDIT/DEBIT CARD*********
                                                                  *Additional fees apply when paying with a credit/debit card.