Driver's License Information

The Wright County License Center now offers Class D Knowledge Written Exams by appointment.

Driver’s License Hours

Appointment or Walk In 

Monday through Friday 8:00am-4:30pm

 Lobby opens at 7:45am for check in.  Transactions are served starting at 8:00am and transaction cut of time is 4:15pm



To make an appointment, click here.  Appointments can be scheduled up to 30 days in advance.  The calendar will automatically release appointments each day, so blocks of appointments will no longer be released every two weeks. Appointments are continuing as an additional service options for customers.  The majority of customers will continue to be served as walk-ins.   o make an appointment, click   he Indoor Service Counter will be by appointment with limited walk ins for Driver's License.  Appointments are served first and with priority and Walk Ins are served as time allows with no guaranteed wait times.  


Make an Appointment

Please complete the Pre Applicationprior to your appointment:


The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is extending the REAL ID full enforcement deadline to May 3, 2023.

Driver’s License/ID Card/Permit Options:

Standard Card
A Standard Card can be used for domestic air travel until May 3, 2023.
A Standard Card is NOT valid for international air travel.
No additional documents are required to renew a Standard Card

A REAL ID Card can be used for domestic air travel and to access federal facilities.
A REAL ID Card is NOT valid for international air travel.
Additional documents required at time of application: REAL ID Card Requirements

Enhanced Card
An EDL/EID can be used a s a cross-border travel document (in lieu of a passport) to re-enter the U.S. by land and sea, from Canada, Mexico, and some countries in the Caribbean.
An EDL/EID can be used for domestic air travel and to access federal facilities.
An EDL/EID is NOT valid for international air travel.
An EDL/EID has a radio frequency identification (RFID) chip embedded in the card.
The RFID chip contains a unique number assigned to each EDL/EID card. It does not include any biometric data (e.g. fingerprints, facial recognition, etc.).
An EDL/EID must be mailed to the Minnesota residential address that appears on the EDL/EID card.
Additional documents required at time of application: Enhanced Card Requirements

Fees for Driver’s License/Identification Card/Instruction Permit:

Driver’s License Fees
Class A, regular$51
Class A under 21$31
Class B regular/under 21$43
Class C regular/under 21$36
Class D regular/under 21$32
Provisional driver’s license$19.25
Class D Provisional license upgrade to under 21, no violations on record ($3.50 credit)$28.50
Instruction Permit$15.50
Identification Cards
Under age 65$21.50
Age 65 and older$20.75
ID Card for person with physical or developmental disability, or qualified mental illness$0.50
Duplicate Driver’s License or Identification Card
All classes$17.00
Other Fees
Enhanced Driver’s License/ID/Instruction Permit*$15
Motorcycle endorsement renewal*$13
School Bus Endorsement*$4
We Accept the following Reinstatement Fees
Revoked license - Alcohol/drugs and criminal vehicular operation**$680
Other offenses (including No-fault insurance revocation)**$30
Suspended license**$20
CDL disqualification fee**$20
*Fee is in addition to the regular card fee
**$8 filing fee will be collected along with the reinstatement fee, both are payable ONLY BY CASH OR CREDIT/DEBIT CARD

Quick Notes regarding Driver’s License/Identification Card/Instruction Permit applications:

If you are under the age of 18 you will need a parent or legal guardian’s signature at time of application.

You will need to know your Social Security Number for any Driver’s License/ID Card/Permit transaction.

Renewing for your 21st Birthday: You cannot apply more than 60 days prior to your 21st birthday.

If your Driver’s License or ID card is lost or stolen, you simply need to apply for a Duplicate card.

If your address has changed, you need to apply for a Duplicate card within 30 days.  if you have a REAL ID Card or Enhanced Card, you must submit new residency proof documents with the new address. 

Changing/Updating the name on your card requires you first update with Social Security.  Once the name had been changed with Social Security, you can complete an application.  You will be required to show a certified copy of the name change document (marriage certificate, Divorce decree, or court ordered name change).

Written Exam and Road Test Information:

The Buffalo State Exam Station is currently open on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.   Plymouth, St. Cloud, Anoka, Chaska, and Arden Hills are other options near Buffalo.

If you need to take a written exam or road test you will need to go to a State Exam Station first.  Once you pass your written or road test at one of the State Exam offices we are then able to process your application. 

ROAD TEST ARE BY APPOINTMENT ONLY.  If you need to schedule a road test you will need to call 651-284-1234.  This is a state-wide scheduling number.  You will be asked to choose the location of your exam.  You may also schedule online at

Please make sure you have the correct STANDARD DL/ID IDENTIFICATION DOCUMENTS when you go to the testing station to take your written exam.

Commercial, motorcycle and passenger manuals are available at the Minnesota Department of Public Safety website

First time applications/new to State applications/Returning to Minnesota:

First time or New to Minnesota Driver’s License/ID Card/Permit applications: Applying for a first time Minnesota card requires two forms of identification off the STANDARD DL/ID IDENTIFICATION DOCUMENTS.  ID card applicants may qualify for a Reduced Fee application, you must submit The Reduced Fee ID Card Form with your application.

If you are new to the state or returning to Minnesota with an out of State License and applying for a permit or driver’s license, you will need to take the written test first.

*Additional fees apply when paying with a credit/debit card.