License Center

The License Center Office Hours are:

Monday through Friday 8:00am-4:30pm

Our Indoor Service Counter Lobby opens at 7:45am for check in.  Transactions are served starting at 8:00am.
Transaction cut off time is 4:15pm 

Our Drive-Thru is located on the northwest corner of the building. Motor Vehicle tabs and DNR renewals can be processed at our Drive-Thru. No Driver's License applications are processed at our Drive-Thru


The Indoor Service Counter accepts Walk Ins and Appointments.  The Indoor Service Counter processes ALL transaction types offered at the Wright County License Center.  If you are looking to Renew, Upgrade, or Apply for a First Time application for Driver's License/ID/Permit, you MUST use the Indoor Service Counter.  Motor Vehicle and DNR Transactions are accepted as well as Paying a Reinstatement Fee, Filing a CDL Medical Certificate or Applying for a Disability Certificate.  If you are wanting to take the Class D Written Knowledge Exam, we offer testing on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Appointments for all services can be made at the link above.

DRIVE-THRU (Located on the northwest corner of the Government Center) :

Our Drive-Thru services are limited to specific transactions. No Driver' License/ID/Permit applications are accepted at the Drive-Thru. Please see the expanded list below: 

  • Motor Vehicle Tab renewals *Insurance required for most Motor Vehicle renewals
  • New or Replace plates/tabs
  • Duplicate titles (on site printing capability)
  • DNR Recreational Vehicle Renewals
  • Hunting and Fishing Licenses
  • Disability Parking Certificates
  • CDL Medical Certificates
  • Request Reinstatement requirements
  • Paying a Reinstatement Fee
  • Turning in missing documentation with a Letter from DVS

*Additional fees apply when paying with a credit/debit card.


Changing/Updating the name of your Driver's License/ID/Permit Card:  You MUST register your new name with Social Security first. Once the name has been changed with Social Security, you can complete an application at our Indoor Service Counter. You will be required to show a certified copy of the name change document (marriage certificate, Divorce decree, or court ordered name change document).

Under 18:  A parent or legal guardian (with a Court Ordered Legal Guardianship documents) MUST accompany anyone under the age of 18 applying for a Permit or Driver's License.  The Blue Card or other acceptable Proof Document from a Certified Driving School are REQUIRED to be submitted for First Time Permit Applications.  The Road Test Exam record and Driving Logs are REQUIRED to be submitted for First Time Provisional Driver's License Applications. 

Turning 21: You cannot Renew your Driver's License/ID/Permit card more than 60 days prior to your 21st birthday.  Commercial Driver's turning 21 cannot register as "Interstate" on their CDL Medical Self-Certification form until their 21st birthday.

Motorcycle Engine Number:  Motorcycle Title transfers or first-time registration REQUIRE the engine number to be submitted at time of transfer.

Insurance: Insurance is REQUIRED for Motor Vehicle registration renewal, title transfers, or application for new title/registration (excludes Trailers and Mobile Homes).  Proof of insurance can be electronic, and the information needed is the Insurance company name, Policy number, and Policy expiration date.  View Minnesota Statute 169.798 for more details.  insurance is NOT required for Driver's License/Permit Renewals or DNR Renewals.

Combination Fishing/Hunting Licenses: New in 2021, both you and your spouse must be present to purchase a combination license in person to receive both licenses same day. If only one spouse is present, a license voucher will print for the other spouse to turn in at a later time to receive their actual license.

Skip the line and renew your tabs through our Drop Box

You can use the Drive-up secure drop box located on the Northwest corner of the building.  Transactions are processed, and your tabs will be mailed back to you. Please make sure to include exact cash or a check made payment to Wright County License Center.

2023 Holiday Hours

Holiday   Hours of Operation
January 2, 2023 New Year's Day CLOSED
January 16 MLK Jr Day CLOSED
February 20 Presidents' Day CLOSED
May 29 Memorial Day CLOSED
June 19 Juneteenth CLOSED
July 4 Independence Day CLOSED
September 4 Labor Day CLOSED
October 9 Indigenous Peoples' Day 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM
November 10 Veterans Day CLOSED
November 23 Thanksgiving Day CLOSED
November 24 Day after Thanksgiving CLOSED
December 25 Christmas Day CLOSED
January 1, 2024 New Year's Day CLOSED