Next Thursday, Friday and Saturday (Aug. 19-21) Wright County will be celebrating Local Heroes Days – in honor of frontline workers, including law enforcement, firefighters, first responders, veterans, Armed Forces, educators and medical personnel.
The events will be held from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. each day at the Monticello RV Center (3880 Chelsea Road) and will allow residents to have meet-and-greets with our local heroes and celebrate the contributions they have made to our communities. This is a free family event that will include free food.
The event participants include the Wright County Sheriff’s Office, Sherburne County Sheriff’s Office, Minnesota Highway Patrol, Minnesota National Guard, Monticello Fire Department, Centra Care, local veteran agencies and more. There will be free tee-shirts handed out to the first 500 local heroes attending the event with more than 20 local hero vehicles to view, as well as a drawing for more than $20,000 in prizes for local heroes from area businesses.
Kids that come to meet a police officer will receive a coupon for a free ice cream treat courtesy of Cub Foods.
Highlights will include:
- A National Guard Black Hawk helicopter landing at 10:30 a.m. Friday, Aug. 20 and remaining on site until 4:30 p.m.
- A Life Link helicopter on hand all three days from noon to 2 p.m.
- An Honor Guard presentation conducted by the American Legion, VFW and Boy Scouts at 10:30 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 21.
- A North Memorial Hospital Helicopter on site Saturday, Aug. 21.
- Northstar Search and Rescue dog demonstrations each day.
- K9 officer demonstrations by the Wright County or Sherburne County Sheriff Offices each of the three days.
- The Monticello Fire Department demonstrating the Jaws of Life in the afternoon of Saturday, Aug. 21.
- An interactive vehicle display all three days, including a Centra Care ambulance, a Wright County Sheriff’s Office SWAT vehicle, a National Guard armored vehicle, a 1917 vintage fire truck, Highway Patrol vehicles, Sheriff Command Center and sheriff squad cars manned by deputies to demonstrate the vehicle’s technology.
- Mike Bray of Bray Leather Studio will be displaying artistically designed leather works honoring the United States and our veterans all three days.
- Rock On Trucks will be have a Vietnam Wall and Unknown Soldier displays all three days.
- The Spirit of Minnesota Bell will be at the event all three days.
- The Minnesota State Patrol will have a device called the Safety Belt Persuader to demonstrate the importance of buckling up.
- A tribute to Tommy Decker, a Cold Spring Police Officer who lost his life in the line of duty.
For those wishing to participate in Local Heroes Days or want more information, contact Scott Kunz at (763) 567-0673 or email to LocalHeroesDay@gmail.com.