Marriage Applications, License and Certificates
Applying for a Marriage License
You may apply for a marriage license in Wright County regardless of residence or where the ceremony is taking place as long as you are married within the geographical boundaries of Minnesota.
Licenses applied for at the Recorder's Office will be issued immediately to the applicants and the marriage may occur on the same day.
Marriage licenses can be obtained from the Recorder's office located on the 2nd floor at the Wright County Government Center. Please arrive at the Recorder's office by 4 pm to assure adequate time. If you would like to start the process ahead of time, you may begin by completing an eMarriage Application at home or you can use the public terminals located in our office. We will print the application when you arrive to apply for the license. Both parties must appear in person to complete the application process.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age
- Both applicants must appear in person to apply.
- Provide Identification (driver's license, identification card or passport)
- You will be asked to provide the following information for each applicant on the Marriage License Application:
- Full name, current address and county of residence
- Social security number, if you have one
- Date and place of birth
- Information regarding any previous marriage(s)
- Full name you wish to have after marriage
- The license is valid for six months from the date of application
- Either or both parties may change their names on the application provided there have been no felony convictions after August 1, 2000. (See Minnesota State Statutes 259.13)
- Competent persons 18 years of age or older may contract for marriage.
- Children over the age of 16 and under the age of 18 must have both parents' permission. If both parents can't come into the office, we can provide a form for the absent parent to sign in front of a notary. These must be approved by a Minnesota judge and a waiver must be signed by the judge. If either applicant is under age 16 the judge's waiver must come from the county where the applicant lives.
- As of August 1, 2016, there is no waiting period after application; however, our office is not open Saturdays, Sundays or Holidays. The license is valid for a period of 6 months and valid only in the State of Minnesota. There is no refund if the license is not used within the 6 months.
- If you were previously married and your last spouse is deceased, we will need the date and county of death. If your last marriage ended in divorce we will need the dissolution date, county/state and the type of court that it occurred.
Fee (Cash, Check or Credit Card)
NEW: Credit Cards are now accepted - 2.35% of total amount convenience fee on all credit card transactions with a minimum fee of $1.75 per transaction
Regular Application $115.00
Reduced Application $40.00 if you have completed 12 hours of premarital education;
To obtain the reduced fee, applicants must provide a statement from the educator at the time of application.
The educator's statement must meet the following requirements:
- Statement must be on the educator's letterhead
- Statement must be signed and dated by the educator, with the educator's signature notarized or "marked" with a church seal
- Statement must include legal names of both applicants and these names must be identical to the names on the marriage application(no nicknames)
- Minnesota law (Minn. Stat. 517.08 subd. 1b(d)) specifically requires the following language be use in the Educator's Statement:"I, .......................... (name of educator), confirm that .......................... (names of both parties) received at least 12 hours of premarital education that included the use of a premarital inventory and the teaching of communication and conflict management skills. I am a licensed or ordained minister, a person authorized to solemnize civil marriages under Minnesota Statutes, section 517.18, or a person licensed to practice marriage and family therapy under Minnesota Statutes, section 148B.33.
- Original signed educator's statement required
- Please see the attached "example" of the premarital education statement
There is a new website MOMS® Minnesota Office Marriage System that can assist you in locating where a marriage license was issued in Minnesota (most counties have current and historical data available on this site).
Certified Copy $9.00 (Marriage Certificates obtained in the county where you originally applied for the license)
Credential of License or Ordination Filing
Click here for more information
Questions? Please contact our office at 763-682-7355.