Victim Assistance Program
Law enforcement sees more victims of crime than any other component of the criminal justice system. The purpose of this program is to help minimize the effects of a crime, or traumatic event, by providing immediate response to victims and their families.
General Services Provided
- Crisis counseling, support and information to crime victims, and families of suicide and fatal accident victims.
- Stabilization / safety planning / determine immediate needs / identify support systems.
- Provide education / understanding about the crime / incident, and preparation for what will happen next in the process.
- Case status updates and explanation of criminal justice processes.
- Address questions / concerns to assist victims in making informed decisions.
- Assistance in:
- applying for a Harassment Restraining Order or Order for Protection
- applying for victim compensation funds, please fill out a Reparations Claim Form (victim may be eligible for financial assistance if they have suffered economic loss of a result of violent crime).
- arranging funeral services
- recovering items being held as evidence
- preparing families in dealing with the media
- facilitating crime scene cleanup
- referrals to social services, counselors / support services, and crime-specific programs such as Central Minnesota Sexual Assault Center 320-251-4357 and Rivers of Hope 763-295-3433 (domestic violence agency)